Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Kayaks on a plane

Its been a few marvelous days of my brother getting married, driving to LA, and making final preparations for my trip to Costa Rica. There are many things that go into packing and planning for a trip, most of which I enjoy doing in the last few hours. Getting a kayak on an airplane is pretty much impossible. There are a number of websites that advise how to do it, but basically, it comes down to who is checking you in at the airport, the mood they're in, and how much money you are willing to pay (*read=bribe) them.

Making your kayak look like less of a kayak, and more of a surf board, fun board, kite board, surf ski, surf kite board ski, ect.. the better your odds are of getting it on the plane. Uncle Stewart and I went to a packaging store where I purchased 1500 Ft of stretch wrap for $15. I wrapped my kayak like a mummy in this stuff with hopes to get it passed onto the airplane with as little grief as possible. I decided in the end to bring a Creek Boat with me. It is more inconvenient on the way in, but it will be a more versitile boat once I am there. If the creek boat gets stopped in the airport, I will be able to run back to my car, change to the playboat and get that checked instead. Hopefully it will all go smoothly. I'll let you all know how this goes in my next posting from Turrialba, Costa Rica! Pura vida. Love life.

1 comment:

utenzi said...

If you've got a really short boat you might be able to put a few pine boards around it and say it's a casket.

On the other hand, for what it costs to ship, you might be able to buy a used one off of Craig's List at your destination...