Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hola de Peru.

So, I've touched down in Peru and everything went smoothly. I checked my kayak from Portland to Lima through El Salvador and it made it, for only $50. It was a pleasant suprise finding all of my gear at the bagage claim in Lima.

Arriving in the airport in Lima is quite simlar to Costa Rica. There are tons of people offering you a ride, pressuring you to their hotel, and generally making your life more stresssful than is necessary. I think its a tactic to get people to make split decisions to do things in an uncomfortable situation.

I had a ride arranged to Miraflores and they were there to pick me up. The roads in Peru rival those of CR, with eight lanes crammed into a space big enough for only three or four. The weaving, the people, the motorbikes and the police are only there as a suggestion for what you should do or where you should go.

I went out with a few canadians last night walking around Miraflores and checking out the night scene. There is a central park here with lots of locals selling their handicrafts, foods, and services.

I went for a walk this morning along the coast. The coastline is very dramatic with a steep rocky drop down into the sea from the city. This is a popular place for paragliding off of the rocky cliff face. The paragliders were impressive, just lifting off of the ground and hovering a few feet up with amazing control.

I'm headed south in the next few days for the southern coast, making my way down to Arequipa.

No comments: